Wednesday, November 12, 2008

California Bound

It's off to California today (Burbank) for our quarterly peer group meeting. I am member of Heartland Technology Groups (HTG3). We have 12 companies that meet once a quarter for 2 days to work on our business. I can say without a doubt that this is the single best decision we have ever made as a company. Having a virtual board of directors who not only care about us as a company but more importantly they care about us as individuals. I've developed some great friendships from this group and always look forward to our meetings.

One big benefit of meeting regularly with people who care about you is the accountability they provide. This can be a tremendous blessing as well as a rather uncomfortable time. Being held to a standard and a set of goals can be intimidating. I know personally that as people start examining and looking under the covers I tend to close areas off. I don't hold up well under the spotlight and try to find ways to deflect and redirect the examiners. It's an area I have been working on to improve. My mind says I welcome the inspection but when it starts intruding on my personal space it gets uncomfortable. I don't want it to be that way. I desire to be more open and transparent and this group is helping to facillitate that.

So it's off to the sunny west coast and a great time of fellowship and sharing.

No comments: